query re: V. Grossman

Emily Tall mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
Sun May 11 12:45:58 UTC 2003

Dear Seelangers:
    An English professor would like to know the source of a quote  in
Grossman's "Zhizn' i sud'ba," Part I,  p. 161 in the Russian edition,
which reads: "...kak vino, pechal' minuvshikh dnej/ V moej dushe, chem
stare, tem silnej." A footnote in the English edition says it's from
Pushkin.
    The English professor finds the book very powerful and wonders why
he doesn't hear anything about it or the author, as opposed to, say,
Babel, Mandel'shtam or Brodsky. I supposed that Grossman's realistic
style wasn't fashionable, or the author hadn't had a spectacular fate
(i.e. exile). Any ideas out there? Perhaps someone knows John Garrard's
address and the professor can write to him.
    Thanks all,
    Emily Tall (enjoying retirement!)