query re: V. Grossman

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Sun May 11 23:07:00 UTC 2003

Dear Emily Tall and Seelangers:

>     An English professor would like to know the source of a quote  in
> Grossman's "Zhizn' i sud'ba," Part I,  p. 161 in the Russian edition,
> which reads: "...kak vino, pechal' minuvshikh dnej/ V moej dushe, chem
> stare, tem silnej." A footnote in the English edition says it's from
> Pushkin.

It's Pushkin's "Elegiia," 1830, 1st line: "Bezumnykh let ugasshee
vesel'e..."

>     The English professor finds the book very powerful and wonders why
> he doesn't hear anything about it or the author.

Try Radio Liberty's Russian-language service website, svoboda.org, where you
can search "grossman." It seems I've heard features about him in recent
months. Perhaps in conjunction with the war prose of Viktor Nekrasov.

Tim Sergay