Term "akademicheskaya zadolzhennost"

Mon May 12 02:51:32 UTC 2003

On a grade transcript (Справка об итогах сдачи экзаменов и зачетов) from
Ukraine, written entirely in Russian, for the academic years 1989/90
through 1991/92, we see the usual columns: course title, grade, number
of hours, etc.

However, I also have what is for me an unusual column that reads

              Срок ликвидации
        академической задолженности,
              если она имеется

Could someone explain to me what is meant here? Are we talking about a
financial debt, or is it rather some kind of lag by the student in
passing courses on schedule that must be made up? And ideally, how do
you say this in English?

On a related note, I am always interested in the academics' view of the
contrast between экзамен and зачет. The former is usually graded on the
5-point scale, whereas the latter is usually pass/fail, with "pass"
called -- you guessed it -- "зачет." :-) Any recommendations?

TIA

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com