akademicheskaia zadolzhennost'

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Wed May 14 20:46:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

-----------------------------------
Snip
-----------------------------------
> Yes and no. I had experiences with VERY important courses such as 12
> hours of independent study for the purpose of writing a thesis, and
> those courses were graded pass/fail. Then again, there are also
> situations where a course may be effectively pass/fail but on paper it
> appears to be ABCDF: if you pass, you get an A, and if you fail, you get
> maybe a C and are washed out of the program.

I am not aware of such cases, and have no idea how they can exist. The
grade system for each course is officially preapproved, and written down
in the so-called academic plan. Professors do not have any flexibility in
choosing to grade it or not. The only "kindness" that they can demonstrate
is to offer not to count the appearance. If ZACHJOT is graded then it is
so to be according to the academic plan.

> Edward Dumanis concurred with Alina Israeli's last two paragraphs, and
> added (privately):
>
> > So, "ÚÁÞÅÔ" sometimes has nothing to do with practical exams.
>
> OK, so how would you say, "ÓÄÁÌ ÚÁÞ£Ô Ó ÏÔÍÅÔËÏÊ «ÚÁÞ£Ô»"?
>         (Or is that too redundant even for Russian bureaucratese?)
> "Passed the test with a grade of 'pass' "? -- sounds awful in English...

It is awful in Russian too. How about "The test was successfully passed"?

> How about "ÓÄÁÌ ÜËÚÁÍÅÎ Ó ÏÔÍÅÔËÏÊ «ÏÔÌÉÞÎÏ»"?
> "Passed the exam with a grade of 'excellent' "?

This sounds okay.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>