Khrushchev fabrication

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri May 16 15:11:58 UTC 2003

 It's missing -- not because it didn't happen, but maybe because no
>one filmed it. So I second Peter's motion: if the clip exists, where can it
>be found?
>
>-Rich Robin

Peter Scotto:
>> >My point is not that Khrushchev did or didn't pound his shoe, but where
>> >the image that we all "remember" of Khrushchev pounding his shoe came
>> >from.  I believe that it was nothing more than some footage of Khrushchev
>> >delivering a vigourous speech and that we all just assumed that this was
>> >film the shoe pounding incident.
>> >
>> >Now this whole thing should be fairly easy to resolve.  If someone can
>> >produce footage of Khrushchev pounding his shoe at the UN, I'll go away.

There is a difference between what Rich Robin is saying: It happened but
there is no film clip, and what Peter Scotto is saying: Maybe it did happen
or maybe it didn't, but until there is a film clip it's nothing but
propaganda.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW