krytl'??

gsafran at STANFORD.EDU gsafran at STANFORD.EDU
Mon May 26 16:17:33 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERS,
I am stumped by a word I've found in a text.  It's an ocherk written
1883-1886 by the Russian-Jewish writer S. An-sky.  He's
describing a scene in a tavern, set probably in the Vitebsk region
where he grew up (and his mother ran a tavern) but possibly in the
south where he was living later (the Dnepropetrovsk area).  The
speaker is a drunk peasant woman, who begins to sing what the
other characters recognize as comically distorted versions of
folksongs.  Since I need to cite this passage in English, I'm trying
to translate the songs.  In the following one, the third line is totally
mystifying.  Chyvychainyi is probably chrezvychainyi, but krytl'?  I've
looked in Belorussian and Yiddish dictionaries and consulted
people who know more than I do, but to no avail as yet.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
GS

Papiroska, drug moj tajnyj!