Tsars -- Hanky-Panky at the Russian Palace

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon May 26 20:35:00 UTC 2003

>> >Hanky-Panky at the Russian Palace
>> >
>> >May 26, 2003
>> >By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

>Snip
>

>> >until recently, foreign films in Russia were shown
>> >not with subtitles or dubbing, but with a Russian-language
>> >narrator whose voice-over delivered the lines of all the
>> >characters, from amorous ing»nues to hard-boiled
>> >detectives, in the same uninflected, sonorous tone.
>
>I think that this passage clearly demonstrates the arrogance of the
>reviewer. I am sure that many on the list know very well about a very long
>Russian/Soviet tradition to dub most of the foreign films that they
>obtained. I know that they were trying to dub them synchronizing lips
>motion with the voices which is quite difficult.

Well, I would call it ingorance rather than arrogance. US media presented a
unified arrogant assault some 10 years ago when all of a sudden all evening
news and printed media ganged up on European movie industry for DUBBING
American films, saying that in fact no one has *heard* Garbo speak (that's
the reference to the slogan popular at the time when she went from silent
films to the talkies), and that Italy has its own fast talking "Woody
Allen" (who is almost better than the original) etc. In their arrogance
they definitely abdicated all cultural relativism.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016