Tsars -- Hanky-Panky at the Russian Palace

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU
Mon May 26 17:15:26 UTC 2003

> >Hanky-Panky at the Russian Palace
> >
> >May 26, 2003
> >By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

Snip

> >until recently, foreign films in Russia were shown
> >not with subtitles or dubbing, but with a Russian-language
> >narrator whose voice-over delivered the lines of all the
> >characters, from amorous ingÈnues to hard-boiled
> >detectives, in the same uninflected, sonorous tone.

I think that this passage clearly demonstrates the arrogance of the
reviewer. I am sure that many on the list know very well about a very long
Russian/Soviet tradition to dub most of the foreign films that they
obtained. I know that they were trying to dub them synchronizing lips
motion with the voices which is quite difficult.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>