Mac OS X question

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Sun Nov 2 10:08:48 UTC 2003

>I have a PowerBook G4 using operating system OS X.2. It offers
>various keyboards including Croatian and Romanian. The Romanian
>keyboard offers most of the letters needed to type Romanian,
>including a-short, a-circumflex, i-circumflex, and t-cedilla
>as in at,i and t,uica. But I don't see s-cedilla as in s,i
>anywhere. Has anyone found s-cedilla on the keyboard?

For some reason I don't have the Romanian
keyboard in my installation, so I can only help
you with a workaround: use one of the Turkish
keyboard layouts (T-QWERTY has it to the right of
"L").

I gather you have discovered the Character
Palette, but are using Word with its half-baked
Unicode support that does not allow entering
Unicode characters from the palette and also has
problems with other Unicode-aware font utilities.
I had a similar problem yesterday when I needed
some CE characters that were not accessible
through the Czech, Hungarian, Croatian or Slovak
keyboards - I ended up producing them with
PopChar in Word 5.1 under Classic, saving each of
them in a small separate file and importing the
file into Word X (copy-paste did not work) - very
far removed from speed typing.

The US Extended keyboard might also have <s,>,
but it does not work with Word. You could try a
"Norwegian extended" keyboard made by a linguist
at Trondheim University - it is defined as
"Latin", not "Unicode" and thus works with Word
X: <http://jardar.nvg.org/mac/>.
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo. Tel. +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
--- (this msg sent from home, +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444)