Dostoevsky quote

Sharon Knox sccampbe at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Nov 8 04:26:57 UTC 2003

Another formulation of it is a synthesis of Miusov's paraphrase of
Ivan (quoted below) with Dmitri's paraphrase of Miusov (vse pozvoleno),
quoted back to Ivan by Alyosha at the end of the Grand Inquisitor section.

What strikes me as funny is how blatantly the argument "The
Internet Makes Honest Scholars of Us All!"undermines itself.
While it's useful to have electronic texts available,
the author drew his conclusion about Dostoevsky from a search for
three terms in translated electronic texts.  Wouldn't an "honest
scholar" actually read the text in question before attempting to
show what an author did or didn't say (or put in the mouths
of his character), rather than concluding from a random search
of a translated text that the quotation doesn't exist?
His approach takes Cliff's Notes to a new level of absurdity!