Akhmatova citation

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Thu Nov 13 20:05:11 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGers:

In a memoir I found a reference to an Akhmatova quote and I am trying
to track down the original.

It was said in the memoir that Lydia Chukhovskaia is said to have
quoted Akhmatova:  "Pridet moment, kogda vstretitsia 2 Rossii: odna,
kotoraia sidela, drugaia, kotoraia sazhala...."

Does anyone know the source for the Akhmatova?  Or at least for the
Chukhovskaia?

Thanks for any help.

- Ben

--
Benjamin Rifkin

Professor and Chair, Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706 USA
voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic/rifkin/