Akhmatova citation

Polly Jones polly.jones at WORCESTER.OXFORD.AC.UK
Thu Nov 13 20:21:15 UTC 2003

It is also quoted by Iurii Aksiutin in his chapter in Gleason, Khrushchev and
Taubman's 'Nikita Khrushchev' (Yale, 2000), which I don't have to hand, but
there should be a full reference in the footnotes to the source of the quotation.
Polly Jones

In message <p05210610bbd9941c5f1d@[144.92.165.214]> Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list              <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> writes:
> Dear SEELANGers:
>
> In a memoir I found a reference to an Akhmatova quote and I am trying
> to track down the original.
>
> It was said in the memoir that Lydia Chukhovskaia is said to have
> quoted Akhmatova:  "Pridet moment, kogda vstretitsia 2 Rossii: odna,
> kotoraia sidela, drugaia, kotoraia sazhala...."
>
> Does anyone know the source for the Akhmatova?  Or at least for the
> Chukhovskaia?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> - Ben
>
> --
> =================
> Benjamin Rifkin
>
> Professor and Chair, Slavic Dept., UW-Madison
> 1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
> Madison, WI  53706 USA
> voice: 608/262-1623; fax: 608/265-2814
> http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic/rifkin/