Fw: CFP Contemporary Russian & European Women Writers

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Nov 20 11:04:51 UTC 2003

Please pass this Call for Papers on to interested colleagues.
Thank you.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rosalind Marsh" <mlsrjm at BATH.AC.UK>
To: <RUSSIAN-STUDIES at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 3:06 PM
Subject: Contemporary Russian & European Women Writers

Please find below a 'Call for Papers' for a Conference on
Contemporary European Women writers to be held at the University of
Bath, UK, in April 2005.

Many thanks to all those who responded to my earlier call on behalf of
the Russian and Central-Eastern European section of the conference. I
will be writing to all of you personally.

I hope to produce a collected volume on this subject, along with a
comparative volume on European writers in general.

Department of European Studies and Modern Languages and Centre for Women's Studies , University of
Bath, UK

International Conference on Contemporary European Women Writers:
 Gender and Generation

Call for Papers

An international conference on Contemporary European Women Writers will be held at the University of
Bath, UK, on 4-6 April 2005 under the overarching theme and title of 'Gender and Generation'.

There is evidence in the literature of some European countries that the explosion of women's writing
in the 1970s and 1980s has stimulated the emergence of new generations of women writers in the 1990s
and the first decade of the twenty-first century. It is now time to test out this hypothesis and
analyse whether it is applicable to other European countries too. The aim of this conference is to
explore the legacy of earlier texts by European women and to draw comparisons and contrasts between
different generations of writers.

In view of the reluctance of many female authors to be identified as 'women writers', we will also
enquire whether contemporary European writers regard their gender as a burden, or as valuable and
empowering. Is it a factor of primary importance for them, or does it exert only a limited influence
on their writing?

Within the Department of European Studies and Modern Languages at Bath there are particularly strong
research interests in the literatures and cultures of France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Russia.
However, we welcome contributions on contemporary women writers of any European country, including
the UK, Ireland, Scandinavia, Central and Eastern Europe, Ukraine and Belarus.

We welcome both nation-specific and comparative approaches to women's writing in Europe in the last
20 years, focusing particularly on contemporary writers and the changes that have occurred during
the period in question. Areas of particular interest include:

. Legacies, influences, and/or contrasts and conflicts between women writers of different
generations
  . Feminist, non-feminist or post-feminist writing?
  . Women writers' response to social and political change
 . Mothers and daughters, mothers and sons
. The treatment of certain themes by women writers: time, memory, sexuality, maternity, education
and personal development, female friendship, relationships with men, children and family members,
women's issues, illness, suffering and death, women and work, women and violence, women and war
. The female body, women's psychology and spirituality
  . Race, ethnicity, immigration and emigration
  . Women's representations of men and the masculine
 . The relationship between literature and theory in specific countries
. Genre and style in women's writing: autobiography, lyric poetry, prose genres, écriture féminine,
imagery, mythology

We will be inviting prominent women writers to the conference to discuss their own work and ideas.
The well-known Italian writer Francesca Sanvitale has already confirmed her attendance.

We aim to produce a collection (or most probably several) collections of articles on the subject of
women's writing in individual European countries and Europe as a whole.

Please send proposed paper titles and abstracts of about 150 words by 30 June 2004 to
ceww-conference at bath.ac.uk
Conference committee: Adalgisa Giorgio, Rosalind Marsh, Julia Waters