Russian obscenities

Leslie Farmer Zemedelec at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 12 16:27:05 UTC 2003

In a message dated 10/12/03 10:47:18, mllemily at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU writes:

> See Sept. 15 New Yorker for entertaining article on Russian "mat" by Victor
> Erofeyev.
> Emily Tall

I wonder if he's right, though, about Czech.   I caught far more obscenities
related to excrement, both with live speakers and in books, movies, etc.,
(some in translation).   Hardly a classic Czech movie I've seen is without its
"And I was so ...., I shat myself" line. And Whatsername, the well-known teacher
and writer of all those great "100 things you didn't know about Czech," books,
in her section on "prdel", remarked that while the official record has the
Czech heads of government, on learning of the Russian deplanement, exclaiming
"Jsme ztraceni!", as a native Czech speaker she is sure that what they really
said was, "Jsme v prdeli!"

I understand this really is the case with German, but I don't speak it,
so...can anyone who does enlighten us?