Controlling Title VI Centers

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Oct 16 18:01:56 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,

What the Chronicle article failed to note was that two of the seven
positions on the proposed advisory board are mandated to come from national
security agencies.

This is indeed a startling development for all NRCs (not just those dealing
with the Middle East) and for all the other programs funded through Title
VI, of which there are many. The CIC institutions (the Big Ten universities
plus the University of Chicago and the U. of Illinois at Chicago) are in
the process of drafting a collective letter to our congressional
representatives, expressing support for the refunding of the International
Studies in Higher Education Act, but also strong concern over the advisory
board as currently proposed.

Here is a small sample from the proposed letter (by way of Bill Reisinger,
the University of Iowa's Associate Provost for International Studies):

"We believe the current legislation leaves open the possibility that the
Advisory Board could intrude into the academic conduct and content of
higher education and could impinge on institutional decisions about
curriculum and activities.  Indeed, the powers vested in the proposed
Advisory Board make it more of an investigative, rather than an
advisory, body."

The bill has passed the House and is on its way to the Senate, where we
hope it will encounter some sensible opposition from supporters of academic
freedom in higher education.

Other letters, therefore, collective and individual, still have a chance of
making a difference in the process.

Russell Valentino
Associate Professor
Director, Center for Russian, East Europe, and Eurasian Studies
http://www.uiowa.edu/~creees
University of Iowa
tel. (319) 353 2193