Title VI

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Oct 20 22:43:34 UTC 2003

>The primary purpose of Title VI of the
>      National Defense Education Act
>is to educate linguists for  _national defense_.

>Why should taxpayers pay to train linguists who have no intention of using
>their skills to serve in such a capacity?

Considering that possibly every taxpayer objects to some spendings,
be it the Maplethorpe exhibit or the star wars (or in between), and
given the fact that a tax code is never created by a unanimous vote,
I suggest that professionals should decide this issue, just as they
should in the case of the arts and the military.

BTW, the winds of _national defense_ shifted in a way that some
Agencies of the US government are short of Russian translators
because DLI has reduced its numbers in this area in the recent years.
--
Alina Israeli

phone:  (202) 885-2387
fax:    (202) 885-1076