Title VI

Christopher Tessone tessone at POLYGLUT.NET
Tue Oct 21 17:25:23 UTC 2003

    Jane> After reading Stuart Goldberg's excellent response to the
    Jane> posting labeled Sharon Knox, I had another look at the
    Jane> original message. At the top it says
    Jane> sender to sccampbe at uchicago.edu using -f." Does anyone know
    Jane> what that means?

That header is added by a lot of mail software as a matter of
routine.  It doesn't mean this particular message is more suspect than
other email.

In general, however, it's good to remember that email, like many other
Internet services, is not a secure protocol.  Messages can be
intercepted, faked, and so forth.  There are ways of limiting such
problems (PGP, for instance), but most people don't bother.  If you
have good reason to suspect a message has been faked, it may be
worthwhile to double-check with the sender, but I doubt that was the
case here.

Cheers,
Chris

--