Bunin and intelligentnost'

Thu Sep 11 16:26:27 UTC 2003

Elena Gapova wrote:

 > If I were to explain what the lady means here, I would say smth. like
 > "social class, class belonging (prinadlezhnost' k opredelennomu
 > sotcial'nomu krugu) in the pre-emigration period not important"
 > (though I understand that one cannot translate Bunin like this).

Then perhaps she's looking for "a man of good breeding."

Not to be confused, of course, with "a good breeding man." ;-)

Another approach might be to reverse the polarity: instead of saying we
*do* want something that's good or average, how about saying we *don't*
want something that's bad? In other words, "cads and louts need not
apply" or something in that general direction.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com