chastushki and limericks

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Sep 13 14:12:08 UTC 2003

>The people running it all started asking about chastushki - however, they
>don't
>speak Russian, so here some English-language resources would be required.

>1. Any English resources / translations of chastushki?

A google search produced a few hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=chastushki

What makes a chastushka chastushka is its meter, if it's missing in
translation it's worthless.

>2. Russian limericks - I do remember a few, but there should be a few
>collections here and there?

That subject was once discussed a few years ago, so you could search the
archive. Here is something I found:
http://www.art-lito.spb.ru/artteneta/humor/lim-bel.htm

I would like to repeat what I wrote then: there is genre of Russian
limerick, not to be confused with limerick limericks translated into
Russian, which has a hidden obscene word. For example:

Gaga - severnaja ptica,
no moroza ne boitsja.
Celyj den' sidit v gnezde
kovyrjaetsja v ... puxu.