[SEELANGs] Why is Pechorin going to Persia?

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Sep 23 00:24:43 UTC 2003

>Does anybody have any guesses as to why a twenty-four year old officer
>(who had previously been in trouble with the authorities) would be heading
>to the kingdom of the Shah?
>
>(I mean, other than so that he can get killed off on his way back and
>have his journal published.)

Well, personally I think that last reason is the most compelling one.

Historical reasons depend on when exactly the scene is set.
After 1827, after a second war with Persia over the Caucasus, Russia
and Persia essentially reached a modus vivendi, with Russia keeping
all the territories it had taken from Persian control but not expanding
much further (conquered Tabriz was even "given back" to Persia to cement
the deal). So, in the 1830s there must have been some regular diplomatic
and/or military exchanges.

In addition, around 1837-1838-1839, Russia was engaged in a volatile
diplomatic dance involving the Ottoman Empire and Egypt, England, France,
Prussia, etc., and Russia reportedly tried to get the new Shah of Persia
to attack Afghanistan,-- a move against British interests. So, in the
late 1830s, Persia was seen as an ally of Russia.
Plenty of reasons for diplomatic/military ties and for P.'s trip.

As to why Pechorin, who is young-ish and troublesome: he would not have
to be a senior diplomat, just a military attache of some sort. He
obviously has high connections. And perhaps Persia was seen as a hot
spot -- the sort of place to which you send difficult officers.

Someone out there must actually know the history of the area and could
provide more exact reference points. This might serve as a start.

But I still vote for the plot device, since much of the book is predicated
on the publication of that journal.
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Russian and Russian Studies
Wheaton College
Norton, Massachusetts 02766
phone:  (508) 286-3696
fax:    (508) 286-3640