from the New York Times: Beer in Russia

Leslie Farmer Zemedelec at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 8 12:51:39 UTC 2004

In a message dated 8/07/2004 8:15:57, dg2158 at COLUMBIA.EDU writes:

> Sorry to intervene, but alcoholism itself is merely a symptom. It's
> not drinking that leads to apathy, as the NYT is trying to suggest,
> but just the opposite - a nationwide sense of powerlessness and
> despair, with no room for personal or collective achievement, that
> leads to alcoholism. But that, of course, you won't read in the New
> York Times.

This sounds like what a psychologist told me re inner-city African-Americans
 (very poor and effectively in a ghetto). A lot of what is seen as lack of
character, failing families, petty crime, etc., = really clinical depression.
Change the color and add some income, and you may still have a depressed
person, but he/she sees a psychologist and gets to talk it out, maybe referred to a
psychiatrist for medication.   This usually isn't available in the inner
city, but cheap alcohol is.