Dictionaries

Alexei Bogdanov Alexei.Bogdanov at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Aug 9 13:58:04 UTC 2004

Dear All,

Here is a message from a friend; I'm sure that many of you will have
good suggestions.  I would specifically address those of you who have
translated Russian poetry into English.

"I'd like to expand my collection of Russian-English, English-Russian,
Russian-Russian dictionaries and I would be grateful for your advice.
As far as books available in the U. S., everyone seems to think the
book I already have is the best there is.  I went to a U. S. web site
that imports from Russia and found a possible candidate for an
English-Russian dictionary:

http://www.russianbuy.com/product_info.php?item=9035

For a Russian-English dictionary, I'd like something that covers
obsolete words dating back to Pushkin.  That's probably not possible,
so we're into Russian-Russian dictionaries.  The one I have (circa
1950's) has been somewhat helpful in helping me track down words
that don't appear in my regular dictionary (or online), but
I'd like something even more comprehensive, like the Russian equivalent
of the Oxford English dictionary.  I don't mind ordering directly from
Russia if you can point me to a reputable site.  Also, perhaps you
know of an online Russian-Russian dictionary that includes obsolete words."

Thanks in advance,
Alexei