Live from Moscow delayed AGAIN!!

goscilo goscilo+ at PITT.EDU
Tue Aug 17 21:43:22 UTC 2004

Dear Laurel,

Our messages crossed.

> I am responding to your post on SEELANGS.  I am both a former Russian
> student (Syracuse University, Class of '97) and the current editor in
> charge of managing ACTR titles with Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.  I
> understand your frustration, but please understand we had nearly 1000
> copies in stock up until the beginning of this month.  If your bookstore
> had put in the order in May, it would have been filled within 24 hours.
> Even if we had been out of stock at that time, it would have been more
> than enough time to get a reprint completed and out prior to the fall
> semester.
I'll check with the bookstore regarding the exact date that the order was
sent.
This year's situation is not the first time that we've had to scramble so
as to cope with KH's
not having sufficient copies.  Since the text seems to be so successful,
doesn't it make sense
for it to produce a great number of copies?

 That does NOT excuse us being out of books-- please don't
> misunderstand me-- but most bookstores do not place their orders for your
> books in the spring when you request them, but in July and August.  The
> books were in stock until the first week of August, when they sold out,
> and will be back in stock and out the door before the end of August.
If our bookstore has been responsible for the situation, you can be sure
that I'll go online
with a public apology.

> Again, I apologize for your difficulties with these books.  I recently
> took over management of this title and will continue to work to eliminate
> these issues.
I really hope you do.  Several colleagues with whom I spoke prefer LIVE to
GOLOSA.
Let me be frank: having perused GOLOSA, I do not.  The video for LIVE is
antiquated,
and its first pages provide misinformation (in the interests of
simplification) about Russian
phonetics.  Though I was irritated at having to flounder and seek a
different text so close
to the beginning of our semester, I now am grateful to have found GOLOSA.
I may change my
mind by the end of the semester, but right now, I am with GOLOSA.  That
doesn't mean, of course,
that I'm not pleased for those colleagues whose semester begins in
September who'll be able
to get LIVE.

And, I really appreciate your having responded to Michael's message and
mine on the list and to
me individually.  It seems that your presence at KH is likely to make a
positive difference.

With zest,
Helena