SEELANGS Digest - 3 Dec 2004 to 4 Dec 2004 (#2004-238)

STEPHENBPEARL at CS.COM STEPHENBPEARL at CS.COM
Mon Dec 6 16:59:36 UTC 2004

       I have come across the following witticism attributed to Pushkin.

       On the publication of Goncharov's "Obryv", a contemporary critic,
after complaining how "utomilien"  and "skuchen"  it was, goes on to say that it
had its "'chitatieli i v osobiennoscti chitatielnitsy. Mnogiye iz nikh
ocharovany i (pripominaya staroye vyrazheniye Pushkina) ogoncharovany "Obryvom".

       While I am agonizing over the problem of how to do justice to this in
English, I would be grateful to anyone who could identify the source and/or
context of this quip.    Stephen Pearl