Russian spell-checker/dictionary for Windows

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Mon Dec 6 17:21:31 UTC 2004

Proofing tools: Smartlink offers ORFO 2004
(http://www.smartlinkcorp.com/new/orfo-2004-pro-russian-IN90103UP-info.html).
I also recommend asking Peter Cassetta at Fingertip Software
(http://www.fingertipsoft.com/); I've been using Fingertip's spell-checking
module for MS Word for years, starting when I was still using Win 98.
Fingertip now advises that Russian proofing tools are now available
exclusively through their (Microsoft's) website. But if you have problems
locating such tools through Microsoft (start looking at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/multilingual/prooftools.asp#table2),
Peter could probably help you out. Don't overlook the usefulness of
Fingertip's proprietary Cyrillic Support software if you start acquiring
Russian-produced dictionary and other software.

For dictionary software: I recommend Multilingua's MultiLex Pro, which I've
also been using for years. The latest version still claims to be compatible
with Windows 9X (see http://www.multilex.ru/eng_prof.shtml). There's also
ABBYY Lingvo (I'm partial to ABBYY), see http://www.lingvo.ru/lingvo.asp. I
can't find confirmation on their site that ABBYY Lingvo 10 is still
compatible with Win 98; you'd want to write them and confirm this point
before you buy. Many English-Russian and Russian-Russian electronic
dictionaries (including Dal' and Ushakov) are available for purchase and
download at http://www.polyglossum.com/pg/e/en_ru_en.htm. Again you'd want
to confirm with their tech support staff that the new products will work on
Win98.

You might also consider upgrading to Win XP, which I think it's safe to say
is more stable, less "crashy" than Win 98 (that's been my experience,
anyway).