Soviet architecture in film

Stephanie Sures sdsures at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 13 19:35:04 UTC 2004

I am a student of advanced Russian at the University of Manitoba. I am
reworking a paper that I wrote a number of years ago, on Nikita Mikhalkov's
film "Burnt by the Sun".

Question about the large ornamental stars on the spires of some of the
buildings of the Moscow Kremlin. These stars appears in the first few
minutes of the film. Historically, when were they erected? Who put them
there? I want to postulate that their appearance at that point in the film
is one of the "signposts" that Stalin is now in charge (along with the red
Soviet banners, the exuberant radio announcer, etc.) Please advise.

Thanks very much!

Stephanie Sures