'Kyiv' and 'Kiev'

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Dec 17 23:06:19 UTC 2004

In short, transliteration (which is what she focuses on in her piece) also
contains political assumptions. This is certainly true.

Thus Tadzhikistan (not Tajikistan), or the use of khadis (rather than
hadith), a saying of the Prophet Muhammed, both of which suggest a
Russian-language perspective on Central Asia. There are lots of these that
don't raise hackles but continue to shape thought nevertheless.

With toponyms the problem seems to become especially trenchant when the
people of a country or region are trying to assert their independence, or
when a central government is trying to make a claim. The problem becomes
especially especially sensitive when the English standard toponym happens
to correspond to a since overturned historical affiliation, e.g., Istria
(used in English but also the Italian word laden with irredentist
associations from Italian fascism). There are fewer of these, but they seem
to make their way into the public eye more quickly and get changed as a result.

Russell