'Kyiv' and 'Kiev'

ryan grotte ryangrotte at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 17 23:28:52 UTC 2004

The vast majority of Western readers is more familiar
with the spelling Kiev than with Kyiv, and is clueless
as to the political connotation the different
spellings imply. A journalist aware of both would
probably choose clarity over politics, especially
given journalism's pretensions to objectivity and an
election increasingly seen as a turn for the worse in
Russia's relations with the West. Writing Kyiv might
seem too explicitly anti-Russian. I've already argued
that the typical Western reader wouldn't be aware of
that, but if we write Kiev at least he or she knows
what is being discussed. At any rate, it's a fine
line.

This is basically a reiteration of Ms. Walker's
sentiment:

"A newspaper sometimes has to balance political
correctness with terms that will have some meaning for
the readers it is trying to reach.  If the one thing
that a vast swath of readers know about Ukraine is
that there's a fancy chicken dish named for its
capital, do we really want to insist on Kyiv and lose
them completely?"

What's really unfortunate is that she insists on
citing Chicken Kiev as part of her justification.

ryan.

--- "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1217/p18s04-hfes.html?s=hns