v Ukraine : na Ukraine

Dmitri Glinski dg2158 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Dec 19 04:49:35 UTC 2004

If that were true, then why Siberia is without article, and we
Russians say "v Sibiri"? (Unless this is in anticipation of its
future independence?)

Although I am not a linguist by profession, I wonder whether the use
of the article might be related to the original meaning of the
toponym indicating a geographic position, the borderland, both in
Ukrainian and in Russian. Isn't that also possibly the reason for
"the Netherlands", though they seem no less independent than France
or Belgium?

Dmitri Glinski
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Political Science Department