There is little reason to fear

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Dec 20 23:12:51 UTC 2004

--or hope for--serious separatist tendencies in Ukraine:

(1) For an excellent analysis of *The Donetsk Factor*
[please paste the following into one line and]  click on:

http://www.tol.cz/look/TOL/article.tpl?
IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=4&NrIssue=95&NrSection=4&NrArticle=13186&ST1=
ad&ST_T1=job&ST_PS1=3&ST_AS1=0&ST2=body&ST_T2=letter&ST_PS2=3&ST_AS2=0&S
T3=text&ST_T3=aatol&ST_PS3=3&ST_AS3=0&ST_max=3

This four page article is by the scholar Kerstin Zimmer. It appears in
Transitions Online (17 December)

(2) For a recent poll by the Razumkov Center, investigating attitudes
within Odesa Oblast toward federalism and/or separation, please
visit:
http://maidan.org.ua/static/news/1103576556.html

Cheers, N. Pylypiuk

On Dec 20, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Katz, Michael wrote:

> PS: I just got back from Odessa where my taxi-driver assured me that
> it was
> bad shellfish, not dioxin. "If we'd wanted to poison him, he'd be
> dead."
> Have a nice day.

p.s.  For an assessment of Putin's *efforts to cast himself as a
reform-minded democrat*
see Steven Lee Myers' article:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/19/news/putin.html