Prostitution in 19th & 20th century literature, esp. Kuprin, Anreev & Blok

Dr. Frederick H. White fwhite at MUN.CA
Thu Jan 8 23:25:55 UTC 2004

Dear Ms. Barber:

Prostitution in Andreev's works can be found in V Tumane and a reference
is made in Bezdna.  The only place where such a topic has been addressed
critically (that I know of) is in "Belles-lettres with a Touch of Filth:
On the Contemporary Reception of Leonid Andreev's Stories, The Abyss and
In the Fog--P.U. Møller."  This article is found in the following
collection:

Gender in Russian History and Culture
Edited by Linda Edmondson
Series: Studies in Russian & Eastern European History
ISBN: 0-333-72078-4
Publisher:  Palgrave Macmillan

I do not think there is any other scholarship that deals with Andreev
and prostitution.  I also cannot think of any references in his personal
life (in letters to friends or in his published diaries).

Best of luck.  Please keep me posted on what you find.

Cheers,

Dr. Frederick H. White
Memorial University   SN3056
Department of German and Russian