Prostitution in 19th & 20th century literature, esp. Kuprin, Anreev & Blok

Anne Hruska ahruska at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jan 9 00:00:17 UTC 2004

By the way, I've got a chapter on prostitution in
19th century Russian and European fiction in my
dissertation, "Infected Families:  Belonging and
Estrangement in the Works of Leo Tolstoy," UC
Berkeley 2001.  Sarah, let me know if you want me
to email you a copy.

Best

Anne

>Dear Seelangers,
>

>I am a Ph.D student at Keele University
>researching the theme of prostitution in Russian
>literature in the nineteenth and early twentieth
>centuries.  At the moment I am concentrating on
>authors such as Chernyshevsky, Tolstoy,
>Dostoevsky, Garshin, Chekhov, Andreev, Blok and
>Kuprin.  I have done a lot of background work on
>prostitution as a social phenomenon and on the
>authors mentioned above in general, but have
>unfortunately found few sources that go into
>depth about any author’s depictions of, interest
>in, or concerns about prostitution.
>

>I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any
>such reference in connection with any of the
>above authors, but particularly with Kuprin,
>whose novel ‘Yama’ was clearly a major
>contribution to the theme, though relatively
>little seems to have been written about the man
>or the book.  I’m also especially interested in
>information about Andreev and Blok, including
>advice about which of their works are most
>relevant to the theme, any instances where their
>depictions of prostitution have been discussed
>in criticism and any documenting of their
>personal position on the issue.
>

>Further to this I am still searching for a
>literary depiction of prostitution from a less
>well-known author, perhaps written from the
>female perspective or even by a practicing or
>reformed prostitute, as I believe this could
>shed new light on my research.
>

>I would be extremely grateful for any assistance offered.
>

>Thank you in advance.
>

>Sarah Barber

Anne Hruska, Ph.D.
Teaching Fellow in the Humanities