Prostitution in 19th & 20th century literature, esp. Kuprin, Anreev & Blok

Sarah Barber sarahbarber199 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Jan 9 08:06:03 UTC 2004

Dear Anne,

If you could send me a copy that would be wonderful.  So far I've not found much on Tolstoy and prostitution except for allusions next to missing sections in his diaries.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sarah

Anne Hruska <ahruska at STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
By the way, I've got a chapter on prostitution in
19th century Russian and European fiction in my
dissertation, "Infected Families: Belonging and
Estrangement in the Works of Leo Tolstoy," UC
Berkeley 2001. Sarah, let me know if you want me
to email you a copy.

Best

Anne

>Dear Seelangers,
>

>I am a Ph.D student at Keele University
>researching the theme of prostitution in Russian
>literature in the nineteenth and early twentieth
>centuries. At the moment I am concentrating on
>authors such as Chernyshevsky, Tolstoy,
>Dostoevsky, Garshin, Chekhov, Andreev, Blok and
>Kuprin. I have done a lot of background work on
>prostitution as a social phenomenon and on the
>authors mentioned above in general, but have
>unfortunately found few sources that go into
>depth about any author’s depictions of, interest
>in, or concerns about prostitution.
>

>I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any
>such reference in connection with any of the
>above authors, but particularly with Kuprin,
>whose novel ‘Yama’ was clearly a major
>contribution to the theme, though relatively
>little seems to have been written about the man
>or the book. I’m also especially interested in
>information about Andreev and Blok, including
>advice about which of their works are most
>relevant to the theme, any instances where their
>depictions of prostitution have been discussed
>in criticism and any documenting of their
>personal position on the issue.
>

>Further to this I am still searching for a
>literary depiction of prostitution from a less
>well-known author, perhaps written from the
>female perspective or even by a practicing or
>reformed prostitute, as I believe this could
>shed new light on my research.
>

>I would be extremely grateful for any assistance offered.
>

>Thank you in advance.
>

>Sarah Barber

> http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Anne Hruska, Ph.D.
Teaching Fellow in the Humanities
Stanford University

Building 250
Introduction to the Humanities Program
Stanford, CA 94305-2020
(650) 724-9221
fax (650) 723-7099

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: