lit query

Sibelan E S Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Wed Jan 28 17:38:18 UTC 2004

Dear all,

A colleague of mine from another department is trying to discover
which Russian work that he read decades ago contains this scene:

>a bunch of army officers are arguing about the existence of god.  At one
>point one of them leaps to his feet, tears off his epaulets, and exclaims
>"well, if there is no god, then I am no captain!"

If anyone can place this, please reply to me privately, off list, at
<sforres1 at swarthmore.edu>

Thank you for your attention!

Sibelan

Sibelan Forrester
Russian/Modern Languages and Literatures
Swarthmore College
http://www.swarthmore.edu/Humanities/sforres1/