Survey: Maximum Number of Students in Introductory Russian

augerot bigjim at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Jan 30 00:44:48 UTC 2004

jim_______________________________________
augerot uw-slavic 353580 seattle, wa 98195
206-543-5484 fax 206-543-6009 <www.faculty.washington.edu/bigjim/>

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Lev Loseff wrote:

:Dear Colleagues:
:
:
:
:1)          We believe that the maximum number of students in an Introductory Russian class should not exceed 16.  If 17 are enrolled, there should be two sections; if 33 - three sections, and so on.  Based on your teaching experience, do you agree or you believe that the cut-off number may be higher or must be lower?
:
:
:
:2)          Does your school have a rule limiting the number of students in a language class?

We have a 20 student limit. 15 at the third and fourth year level for all the Slavic languages. Asian has the same.
:
:
:
:
:
:3)          If it does, what is the cut-off?
:
:
:
:4)          Is it the same or different for "more difficult" languages such as Russian?

Other languages here (German, French, Spanish) have as many as 30 students in their classes at the first and second year levels.
:
:
:
:Spasibo.
:
:Lev Loseff.
:
:
:
:
:Do you Yahoo!?
:Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
:
: Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription
:  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
:                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/
: