Survey: Maximum Number of Students in Introductory Russian

Pendergast, J. MAJ DFL John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Fri Jan 30 17:32:18 UTC 2004

I'm currently teaching three sections of 18, 19, and 19, and my fellow
instructors are teaching a total of five other sections with an average
size of 18.  This is larger than usual for West Point. Ordinarily, class
size is 14-17.  I'm not aware of any rule on class size here, but the
physical size of the classrooms makes any number higher than 20
impossible.

John M. Pendergast
MAJ, MI
Department of Foreign Languages, Russian Office
United States Military Academy
West Point, NY 12561
Office-845-938-8737
Cell-914-388-1469

-----Original Message-----
From: Lev Loseff [mailto:levloseff at YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 5:42 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Survey: Maximum Number of Students in Introductory
Russian

Dear Colleagues:

1)          We believe that the maximum number of students in an
Introductory Russian class should not exceed 16.  If 17 are enrolled,
there should be two sections; if 33 - three sections, and so on.  Based
on your teaching experience, do you agree or you believe that the
cut-off number may be higher or must be lower?

2)          Does your school have a rule limiting the number of students
in a language class?

3)          If it does, what is the cut-off?

4)          Is it the same or different for "more difficult" languages
such as Russian?

Spasibo.

Lev Loseff.