deciphering "???"

Thu Jul 8 06:25:35 UTC 2004

James Driscoll (o'drisceoil) wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> My mail client does not render Cyrillic either.  What works for me is to
> use the "send message to browser" feature.  This sends the message to
> Internet Explorer which renders the note in both alphabets.

It never ceases to amaze me how Slavicists can operate in the modern day
with programs that don't support Cyrillic or whatever character sets are
used in their favorite languages. There are many good options available
for nothing or next to nothing, and they're not hard to find or learn.
(I learned to touch type in Russian in several months when I was already
in my 40s)

It's like a steel mill operator who doesn't have a rail spur, so he
requires all suppliers to send materials by truck.

(still shaking my head after all these years...)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com