deciphering "???"

Susan Scotto sscotto at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Thu Jul 8 12:21:14 UTC 2004

Greetings, Seelangers -

My Russian friends and colleagues tell me that undecipherable Cyrillic on our
end is a result of encoding incompatibilities.  To solve this problem,
whenever I receive a message in which the Cyrillic comes up as undecipherable,
I go to "View" on my taskbar.  There, I select "Encoding" and try each of the
Cyrillic options until I get the one that corresponds to the encoding of the
original message.  On my college account, this works for me most of the time.
When it doesn't, I forward the message to my Yahoo account and go through the
same procedure until I find the one that corresponds to the sender's encoding
(which, I understand, the sender has no way of controlling from his end.)

Susan Scotto