translation of a mandel'shtam poem

Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Wed Jun 9 00:33:44 UTC 2004

Hi,

In my last message. The second translation had a typo. I am sorry. Here are
the two translations again.

Thanks

Subhash

Translation 1

No, it's not for me to duck out of the mess
behind the cabdriver's back that's Moscow.
I'm the cherry swinging from the streetcar strap
of an evil time. What am I doing alive?

We'll take Streetcar A and then streetcar B,
you and I, to see who dies first. As for Moscow,
one minute she's a crouched sparrow,
the next she's puffed up like a pastry -

how does she find time to threaten from holes?
You do as you please, I won't chance it.
My glove's not warm enough for the drive
around the whole whore Moscow.

Translation 2

No, I can't hide from this awful mess
behind your back you heartless tram-driver, Moscow.
I am a cherry dangling from the leather belt I confess
Why to live, for whom and how, I really don't know.

With you we'll board tram A and then B and go
To find out who'll be the first to die
You either squeeze like a sparrow my Moscow
Or rise and grow like a light airy pie.

Look she has scarcely threatened from the corner
You are free but I can't risk, it is, believe me, so
My hands are cold and gloves a useless armour
to take a ride through this ugly whorish Moscow.