Two translations of Mandel'shtam poem

Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Tue Jun 8 23:15:18 UTC 2004

Dear Friends,

I have found the following two translations of a Mandel'shtam poem. I have
omitted the name of the translators. Mandel'shtam's poem (written in April
1931) starts with the line,

Net ne spryatat'sya mne ot velikoi mury ..

It has three quatrain stanzas with an ABAB rhyme. The first translation is
more or less a paraphrase. The second uses rhyme and perhaps because of that
is a bit more liberal.

I would appreciate your comments on the two translations. Which one do you
like and perhaps why.

Thanks

Subhash

Translation 1

No, it's not for me to duck out of the mess
behind the cabdriver's back that's Moscow.
I'm the cherry swinging from the streetcar strap
of an evil time. What am I doing alive?

We'll take Streetcar A and then streetcar B,
you and I, to see who dies first. As for Moscow,
one minute she's a crouched sparrow,
the next she's puffed up like a pastry -

how does she find time to threaten from holes?
You do as you please, I won't chance it.
My glove's not warm enough for the drive
around the whole whore Moscow.

Translation 2

No, I can't hide from this awful mess
behind your back you heartless tram-driver, Moscow.
I am a cherry dangling from the leather belt I confess
Why to live, for whom and how, I really don't know.

With you we'll board tram A and then B and go
To find out who'll be the first to die
You either squeeze like a sparrow my Moscow
Or rise and grow like a light airy pie.

Look she has scarcely threatened from the corner
You are free but I can't risk, it is, believe me, so
My hands are cold and gloves a useless amour
to take a ride through this ugly whorish Moscow.