Translation question

Donald Loewen djloewen at BINGHAMTON.EDU
Wed Jun 9 16:23:21 UTC 2004

Greetings.
I'd be grateful for any help that could shed light on the word at the end
of the following phrase:

"my dokhodili do dlinnoi sharmil'i" (LC transliteration of a phrase from a
mid-19th century text; it refers to something in a park-- the sentence
continues with the words "za kotoroi nakhodilas' zelenaia reshetka s uzkoi
dver'iu").

I've tried looking it up in a variety of Russian dictionaries, and even
some French ones since I think it may have French origins.
Any information will be much appreciated.
With best wishes,
Don

Donald Loewen
Asst. Prof. of Russian