ex-USSR nationalities in film (revised list)

elenka elenka at UVIC.CA
Thu Jun 17 16:22:00 UTC 2004

There is also Dmitrii Svetozarov's television series "Po imeni Baron" (2002)
with a number of episodes focusing on Jewish characters, Ukrainians, and Roma.
The protagonist of this criminal drama grows up in a Jewish family in Ukraine
and then spends many years living among Gypsies.

list              <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> =====
>I am thinking of "Bumbarash" with a substantial role of a Gypsy (Lyovka).
>I do not know if this might be of interest to you, but when the Jewish
>theater in Moscow was closed, they had a Roma theater in the same building
>instead. I have heard that they played Roma plays in Roma there but I
>cannot recall what kind of plays they performed.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>
>
>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Curt F. Woolhiser wrote:
>
>> Actually, the list does include the film "Tabor ukhodit v nebo," the only
film
>> from the ex-USSR that I am aware of in which Gypsies (Roma) are the
>> protagonists. Could you recommend any other films from the former Soviet
Union
>> in which Roma characters play a substantial role? (I decided not to include
in
>> the list the numerous film adaptations of 19th-century Russian classics
with
>> bit-part appearances by Roma musicians).
>>

>> Quoting Alina Israeli <aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU>:
>>
>> > One nationality is badly missing from this list, although is very present
>> > in film: Gypsy or Roma.
>> >
>> > __________________________
>> >  Alina Israeli
>> >  LFS, American University
>> >  4400 Mass. Ave., NW
>> >  Washington, DC 20016
>> >
>> >  phone:    (202) 885-2387
>> >  fax:      (202) 885-1076
>> >

>> ===============================
>> Curt Woolhiser
>> Department of Slavic Languages
>> and Literatures
>> 12 Quincy St., Barker Center
>> Harvard University
>> Cambridge, MA 02138-3879 USA
>>
>> Tel. (617) 495-3528
>> Fax (617) 496-4466
>> email: cwoolhis at fas.harvard.edu
>>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>>                     http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Elena V. Baraban, Ph.D.
Germanic and Russian Studies
University of Victoria