query

Armstrong, Todd ARMSTRON at GRINNELL.EDU
Tue Jun 29 16:54:08 UTC 2004

Colleagues,

Falconer Gallery at Grinnell College is preparing an exhibit of South
African artist William Kentridge's work. A part of that exhibit is a
series entitled "Five Russian Authors." Each has an excerpt of English
translation, but no reference to the actual author. I am writing to
SEELANGs with the hope of tracking down the authors of these texts. Any
help will be appreciated.

Todd Armstrong
Grinnell College

***
Here are the excerpts, with descriptions of the works:

1. TEXT: "Later on he became a horse doctor here in Nizhny, but he went
mad in the end and the men from the fire brigade beat him to death.
Towards spring the officer fell ill with consumption and on St. Nicholas
day passed quietly away. He was sitting musing at the bath-house window
and there he died, his head hanging out of the window."  DRAWING: A
man's head hanging out of a window.

2. TEXT: "Chapter 1: I'm Fifty Years Behind.  I was born in Lithuania,
from
which the __of South African Jewry hails, on the 3rd February, 1881. And
in
1887, I came with my mother to England, where my father had preceded
us."
DRAWING: some kind of spotlight.

3. TEXT: "Conducting a concert of factory hooters in the open air."
DRAWING:
people gathered in the background, tower in the foreground.

4. TEXT: "May 12, 1979! I'm fifty years behind on my dues! All those
forms to fill out--those explanations!  My district office! My Central
Committee! My God! My Wife! Let me out of here! (Shakes hands with the
doctors and heads for the door)." DRAWING: A close-up of a head floating
in water.

5. TEXT: "'The Revolutionary Fighters' Fund?' 'Of Course, I replied
cheerfully, and waited for the food.'"