kartavnie

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Wed May 5 17:54:17 UTC 2004

Yiddish |r| is velar, hence the Jewish accent in Russian.  Note that
this is prevalent among older Jewish speakers of Russian for whom
Yiddish is the native language.  It is not common among younger Jewish
speakers of Russian as a native language, for whom the Velar |r| is
utterly foreign.

Ben Rifkin

On May 5, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Kris Groberg wrote:

> Patrick.Seriot at SLAV.UNIL.CH wrote:
>
>> Just one question : the Spanish or Italian [r] is the same as
>> Russian. Is the phenomenon of kartavanie there as common as in Russia?
>> One the other side, Jewish Russian speakers are said to use the velar
>> [r] more often.
>> Any suggestion?
>
> I only have personal knowledge. I studied Spanish from middle school
> through
> grad school, and I could never roll my r's. When I started Russian, I
> couldn't do it in this language either. Lo' these many years later, I
> still
> can't. So I'm grateful for all these posts that tell me, essentially,
> that
> it might just be my tongue (not my brain) that is to blame.
>
> --
> Kris
>
> Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.
> 3021-23rd Avenue South West, Unit H
> Fargo, ND 58103
> 701.361.2773
> [mailto:kgroberg at fargocity.com]

> --

Benjamin Rifkin
Professor of Slavic Languages, UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706 USA
Voice (608) 262-1623; Fax (608) 265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic