Windows XP and allowing for more than one Russian keyboard

Danko Sipka danko.sipka at ASU.EDU
Fri May 7 21:50:01 UTC 2004

Microsoft has a free-of-charge application which allows you to create custom
keyboards. You can pick it up from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Best,

Danko Sipka
Research Associate Professor and Acting Director
Critical Languages Institute (http://cli.la.asu.edu)
Arizona State University
E-mail: Danko.Sipka at asu.edu
Web: http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka
/until fall 2005/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Denner" <mdenner at STETSON.EDU>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Windows XP and allowing for more than one Russian
keyboard

> Fontboard does the trick (in Google, type "Fontboard Russian"). It's a
great program, though I would have chosen some different phonetic
correlations (h=x, x=ж, inexplicably the semicolon=ч -- but привыкнешь).

> Run the program, and follow the setup directions included (they're clear
and concise).

> Open up the "detail" option within the language option within the
"Regional and Language" task, then click "add" and select the Russian
Typewriter option. You'll now be able to choose either the "real" Russian
(советская) or the ASDF variant.

> If you want to be able to switch among languages and keyboards by using
keystrokes, select "key settings" and customize away. My XP is set up so
that the first time I hit "alt-shift" the regular Russian (typewriter)
keyboard is applied, then I hit it again and I get the "ASDF" keyboard (aka
phonetic), then I hit it again and I'm back to the Latin/English.

> mad

for