photos of Russian empire

Alexei Bogdanov Alexei.Bogdanov at COLORADO.EDU
Mon May 24 19:37:58 UTC 2004

>advertised as "the first Russian color photo-portrait." Many now assume
that it was a tinted photo - but no, indeed, it was,  >"исполненный   лишь
техническими приемами, без  всякого  участия  кисти  или  резца  художника."
I find the color to be >vivid, if not realistic or terribly subtle.

And so are Andreev's photographs (they were not "remastered" for
publication).
Their quality is simiilar to that of my digital (3.2 megapixels) photos
printed on my
cheap inkjet printer.  It is hard to believe that they were taken and
developed
in the first decade of the twentieth century by an amateur photographer.