query - vzjat' i

Kern Lunde kdlunde62 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 2 15:44:20 UTC 2004

There is an entry on page 57 (entry B-108) of Sophia Lubensky's Random House
Russian-English Dictionary of Idioms (ISBN 0-679-40580-1).

There is also such an entry on page 685 of 'Tlumachal'ny Slownik Belaruskai
Litaraturnai Movy' (2002, ISBN 985-11-0234-2); I'm only starting to learn
some rudimentary Belarusian, but one of the usages shown in the entry for
UZYATS' appears to be just like the one you are asking about:  "A ya vaz'mu
dy skazhu."

Kern Lunde

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kjetil Rå Hauge" <k.r.hauge at EAST.UIO.NO>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] query - vzjat' i

>Dear SEEELANGers
>
>Can anyone refer me to studies treating turns like (I'm quoting from
>the Penguin Russian Dictionary by Bill Ryan and Peter Norman): ja vzjal
>da i skazal - 'I up  and said'; a ty voz'mi da skazhi emu?  - 'you
>really told him?'.  Also, references to studies on similar turns in
>other Slavic languages would be very helpful.

Bulgarian has similar constructions. I don't know
of any studies, but you will find short
descriptions and a number of examples in the
Academy's multivolume dictionary under _vzemam_,
senses 26, 27 and especially 28. (Incidentally,
Norwegian has turns like these too.)

--
---
Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo, PO Box 1030 Blindern, N-0315 Oslo, Norway