query - vzjat' i

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Nov 2 15:17:09 UTC 2004

>Dear SEEELANGers
>
>Can anyone refer me to studies treating turns like (I'm quoting from
>the Penguin Russian Dictionary by Bill Ryan and Peter Norman): ja vzjal
>da i skazal - 'I up  and said'; a ty voz'mi da skazhi emu?  - 'you
>really told him?'.  Also, references to studies on similar turns in
>other Slavic languages would be very helpful.

Bulgarian has similar constructions. I don't know
of any studies, but you will find short
descriptions and a number of examples in the
Academy's multivolume dictionary under _vzemam_,
senses 26, 27 and especially 28. (Incidentally,
Norwegian has turns like these too.)

--
---
Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo, PO Box 1030 Blindern, N-0315 Oslo, Norway