Tolstoy question

Anne Hruska ahruska at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Nov 3 21:05:47 UTC 2004

Dear SEELANGers,

In Tolstoy's "Khoziain i rabotnik," towards the end, Vasilii
Andreevich, having thrown himself on the freezing Nikita, tells him
"Tak-to, brat, propal bylo ia.  I ty by zamerz, i ia by..."  And then
he stops talking and thinks, ":Nu, nichego.  Ia sam pro sebia znaiu,
chto znaiu."

The translation my class is using has this as "I know what I know
about myself."  I'm wondering if that's the only way to read this
line?  Does "pro sebia" here have to mean "about myself"?  Or could
it mean something along the lines of "inwardly"?

Curiously,

Anne
--
Anne Hruska, Ph.D.