Tolstoy question

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Nov 3 21:27:27 UTC 2004

Yes, of course, the second translation is possible:  "I myself know, inside
[myself], what I know"; cf. "podumal pro sebia": "thought to himself". (I
don't have the text in front of me, but the phrase can certainly  mean that.)

Svetlana Grenier

Anne Hruska wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> In Tolstoy's "Khoziain i rabotnik," towards the end, Vasilii
> Andreevich, having thrown himself on the freezing Nikita, tells him
> "Tak-to, brat, propal bylo ia.  I ty by zamerz, i ia by..."  And then
> he stops talking and thinks, ":Nu, nichego.  Ia sam pro sebia znaiu,
> chto znaiu."
>
> The translation my class is using has this as "I know what I know
> about myself."  I'm wondering if that's the only way to read this
> line?  Does "pro sebia" here have to mean "about myself"?  Or could
> it mean something along the lines of "inwardly"?
>
> Curiously,
>
> Anne
> --
> Anne Hruska, Ph.D.